Waterbeach Barracks Denny End Road Waterbeach Cambridge CB25 9PA
Did you know?
The memorial at Waterbeach was erected in 1920 to commemorate the men of the village who died during the Great War. It was unveiled by C R W Adeane CB, Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire, and consecrated by Bishop Price on 14 November 1920.
Built by W Bell and Sons, of Cambridge, the monument was designed by Captain Long, of Messrs. Atkinson and Long.
Further inscriptions were added to the memorial after the Second World War to commemorate the Waterbeach men who died during that conflict.
Waterbeach Military History Museum welcomes and encourages educational visits. Some of the Trustees and volunteers were in the Armed Forces serving at Waterbeach, whether in the RAF or the Royal Engineers, so they have first-hand knowledge of the Armed Forces role in society and the Waterbeach RAF Station and Barracks.
An educational visit can be led by the teacher or by the Museum, or it can be a joint undertaking. The Museum would suggest that the teacher visits first to discuss what the children or students are to gain from their experience. From this initial discussion, the Museum can ensure the right artefacts and exhibits are available for the young visitors to see and learn from.
The Museum page gives a flavour of the range of exhibits, artefacts, and documents that are available and on display. The Museum has, for example, a set of documents about each of the men from Waterbeach – there are over 30 of them – who died during both World Wars. Their names can also be found on the village War Memorial which is next to the Waterbeach Parish church in Station Road (see left).
The Museum building also has a Community Room, which, by arrangement with Urban&Civic (the developers of Waterbeach Barracks and the old airfield) could be available as a working room or a collective talk space. Chairs and tables are available here, and there is even a small kitchen for light snacks or drinks to be consumed.